Friday, June 18, 2010

How I fell in love with my driver...

We've had a tumultuous relationship, my driver and I.  I was even beginning to believe that I hated it.  What I actually hated was my limited understanding of how to actually suck less drive properly.

Starting out with the world's best unintentional fade (that was really a slice), veering to the right a majestic 100+ yards, I knew I had the distance, but gee golly gosh darn, I could not figure out how to get the bleepin' ball to go straight.  Right in front of me.  I mean, it really shouldn't be so hard...in theory.  Insert my love of the driving range.  Free golf lessons by other more experienced golfers at every turn.

The first free instructor was an older gentleman who was out with his wife.  "Can I offer you one tip," he asked politely while cleaning his clubs.  "Oh certainly, please do," I replied.  I always appreciate free golf tips.  "Your swing is good, however bring your hip around with your arms as you follow through with your swing."  He took a moment to demonstrate in slow motion with his newly-cleaned iron.  I mimicked the motion. "Ahhhhh," I said aloud, indicating that the lightbulb had gone off.  I got it.  This is the "how"of getting "under the ball" as my instructor told me to do.

My second free instructor was an un-wedding-ringed tall gentleman who was probably within my parents' generation.  Towering over 6 feet tall, he politely mentioned that he admired the consistency of my slice.  "I could help you fix that," he said as he and his friend ventured toward their clubs.  After I had filled up on shade and sparkling water, I set out toward my clubs again.  His observation was that I kept shortening my finish.  This I knew, but for some reason kept doing anyway.  He also noted that my stance was a little too wide for my driver and that I should align my ball more with my front foot.  "This way," he said, "you're hitting the ball on the upswing."

The lightbulb clicked again.

I hit ball after ball after ball after ball and finally, the last shot I hit was the straightest and longest drive I have ever hit in my life.

(Image of driver courtesy http://www.golfonline.co.uk/images/sdx_ladiesdriver_th.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment